SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you do during repairs?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Now that we live aboard, when we’re hauled for maintenance, the phrase “fish out of water” seems a lot more apt.
Living on the hard really does suck. They put my boat down on standing water, i had to do a can-can kick to get my toe on the bottom rung of the swim ladder. I was doing the bottom and leaving mud tracks and blue fingerprints on everything. And pay close attention to what eryka says, about systems out of water. Anything that drains will go down the side of the boat. For an on the hard adventure I'd recommend you secure a proper ladder and a standard house-outlet to shorepower adapter. Anyway i'm going off on a tangent.

I've been able to get a lot of minor stuff done without leaving the boat, but there are inconveniences. Sanding dust is insidious, and it's super hard to work around varnishing interior pieces you're too lazy to remove. I wish i had done all my varnish in the summer when i could leave the companionway open and rig some fans. As it is now, it's put down a coat, go off to spend the weekend at aunt Sissie's. Put down a coat, go to work, come back home and lie awake contemplating toxicity.

But so far, I've been able to live around it. Living on it can be a great motivator to get work done quickly if say, the heat goes out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook