SailNet Community - View Single Post - the perfect 40' offshore 'go-anywhere' boat
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Nemier,
You remember we discussed this a while back by email. Its still my belief that for a live aboard the 34'er is too small if you want the comforts. We've just got back from a few weeks away on Raven and it really is the case when you are not able to tie up somewhere every couple of days.
The place we went to has no marinas and dinghy access is also limited due to conditions in the town anchorage except under certain conditions. When you stock up on your needs for a couple of weeks and like those comforts you do get sick and tired of having to move boxes of stuff in order to get to other boxes of stuff and then put it all back again.
Water is of course an issue, as is refrigerator space. Clothes not so much but for longer than a few weeks they would become so.
That said my feeling is that for two, forty feet should be adequate.
One of the boats I mentioned (the Norseman 447) is if anything too big, though I love the things which is why I put it in. The P40 would make a lot more sense.
OTOH......Jeff mentioned the Farr 44 and the J44....I think I'm right in saying that both are fractional rig. (Jeff ?). To my mind that small headsail is a wonderful thing for the short handed crew, particularly when said crew is not all that beefy....I am talking us here not necesssarily you. The Wombet finds it quite tiring to sheet in our genoa if we are working up or down harbour which is where she usually prefers me to helm. If e.g. we were sailing something with a headsail the size of the N447 she would probably leave me and Raven for a Winnebago.
Cheers

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook