SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Backstay antenna
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
SSB Backstay antenna

I am in the process of scoping and pricing a conversion for my standing rigging from standard 1x19 wire to Dynex Dux (prestretched and strengthened Dyneema braid).

I have a backstay which currently has two insulators and where the central portion is the SSB antenna. Since the new standing rigging is single-braid and non-conductive it makes a lot of sense to hide the antenna inside the hollow core.

The manufacturer of the rigging says it is possible to do, but they want to do some pull tests to see if the tensile strength of the line is significantly impacted (particularly at both antenna terminators).

All I know about SSB is that if I tune to the right frequency and press the PTT switch somebody might hear me - but that's where my knowledge ends.

I've looked around the web a bit and seen that generally the length of the wire is more important than the diameter. One HAM site indicated that a 10 guage (2.6mm diameter) cable is sufficient, but I'd like to ask here:

What is the minimum cable diameter that would be acceptable for a backstay antenna for use in the marine SSB bands?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook