SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmOntario View Post
I have often heard critisism about the sailing performance of the Mac 26. How would the sailing performance compare to the Siren 17 I currently own?

It's a great little boat, fun to sail, but waaayyy too small and has no organized storage so everything ends up in a big pile in the cuddy. I also get roasted by almost anything else that has a sail except in really strong winds.
Jeez this thread won't DIE!

Anyhoo I had a Siren 17 and it was slow but that was a function of the old sails not the boat. New sails would make your boat a lot faster! It has a very good SA/D ratio, it has as much sail area as my 2nd boat, an O'day 192. The O'day weighs twice as much.

I can't really comment on the sailing performance of the Mac26 as I've never been on one, I do know when I had my Siren I sailed past one or 2. Pretty popular boat around here.

Also, I have poked in and around both the Mac26 and the Hunter, neither is a very well finished boat but the Hunter seems to be better built. It's quite a bit heavier than the Mac, but it also has a puny rig. It's supposed to be a 27' boat but everything is a lot smaller and lighter than on my Hunter 27, a real 27' boat. Just looking at the rig I bet your Siren (with good sails) could sail circles around that boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook