SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crewing up for Norway-Tenerife 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010
Sailing in the USVIs 2010

AtlanticRaider is on a distinguished road
Possible Crew for 2010

Dear Sir,

My name is Mark. You seem to have quite an amazing sailing adventure ahead of you. I'm replying to your search for crew with keen interest. I am interested in learning more about your circumnavigation and yourself and your family.

I'm a Canadian, 31 year old male who made it my goal last year (2009) to be the best sailor possible. I began the year (in 2009) in St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) where I lived on and raced a J27 sailboat for over 3 months - whereby I daily maintained her and learned all crew positions during this time (from skipper to foredeck, grinder & everything in between), racing (primarily at foredeck) in the Rolex and BVI Spring Regattas to name a couple. After my time in the USVIs, I sailed as crew (with a captain and one other crew member) on a Leopard 46 Catamaran from the Caribbean to Turkey. I then spent my summer in Ireland as crew racing a Beneteau 31.7 out of Dublin on the weekends. So my sailing experience has all been very recent, but I've seemed to have jumped into deep waters quite suddenly! As an experienced crew member with various skippers / captains, I'm polite, respectful, very good cook, tidy and will accommodate to my skipper's/captain's needs on a moment's notice.

I don't have any problems providing you with references from my skippers/captains or current/previous employers regarding my skills and character. I'm not very much of a 'careerist' in the modern sense. I find there to be too many challenges and opportunities for new adventures (and improvements) in my life. Academically, I've completed graduate and post-graduate degrees in the field of Geography / GIS in 2004. (I am a Geographer at heart and my desire to explore and travel has come to fruition these past few years. If you need anybody to read/understand/prepare you for the upcoming geography of a new area, I unquestioningly take great enthusiasm in this).

Back to academics.. priorly I studied Chemical-Environmental Engineering (late 1990s). My work experience is across a broad spectrum - from university teaching (seminar leader), to research (toxicology, biology and health sciences), social work (2 years at a local shelter in Canada), farm work (tractor operation, harvesting), construction and surveying/engineering to name a few examples. Currently, I'm working for a logistics company here in Ontario, Canada and have been primarily studying commercial / contract law outside of working hours.

If you would like to learn a bit more about me, I also have a couchsurfing page online with feedback from various friends and travelers who have met me throughout the past few years. I can send you this page via email, if desired.

I am leaving back to St Thomas (USVIs) in just over a week to race again this year (February to mid April) with open possibilities thereafter.
Do you have much sailing experience? Offshore? How would you best describe your personality? I have a few more questions, but I'll leave it at this for now. I think I've written more than necessary for a first message.

Best,

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook