SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Under 40' Offshore Boat Thread!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010

sailordave is on a distinguished road
The Under 40' Offshore Boat Thread!

Since the suggestion was made... and I happen to be mulling this over...
I took the lead on the hint from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Reefs
I've got the same search, though with less money, and happily taking a few feet off. But here is a short list. Would anyone have a stab at ranking the list -- purely in relation to seaworthiness. So capsize resistance, higher AVS, robust build, seakindly shape. All the rest, the space, the looks, the tankage, etc etc, is essentially malleable. Pure seaworthiness is what I want to focus on at outset. You'll see I've left off Tayana 37, Ingrid 38, HansChristian, etc because I just think they are too heavy, too tank-like, and I want a boat that's strong, but lighter than those. A boat that could sail out of trouble, not just plough through it. Here goes (in no particular order):

Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Bayfield 36
Morgan 382
Southern Cross 39
Sabre 38
Bristol 40
Spencer 35/42
Valiant 37
Valiant 40
PSC 37
Shannon 38
Rafiki 37 (the only 'Tayana' type, but actually lighter than Tayanas and, I understand, better sailers).

I'd create a new thread on this...

I'm thinking about what I want in an offshore boat. Must be pleasing to the eye (Bermuda 40, Sea Sprite 34, Pilot 35, Allied Princess, Alberg 35 etc..) but they are a little snug and slow. I do like what I've seen of the Morgan 382, Bristol 40 and Valiant 37 as well as some others. Boat would be singlehanded occasionally and couple sailed the rest of the time w/ the rare visitor. J40 would possibly do, but I think the storage on them is lacking. I have spent some time at sea on a CS40 and have *heard* the CS36T is an even better boat. Pearson 39 would be an acceptable boat but ... I'm not sure.

I would prefer to have at least one pilot berth, and/or a good quarter berth. Nice motion at sea is at least as important as being fast.
I'm not liking the modern styles nor the H-R's.

Last edited by sailordave; 01-27-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook