SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Under 40' Offshore Boat Thread!
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 01-27-2010
3Reefs

All makes sense, Mitiempo. Only probs with Spencers is there seem to be few around, they can be very old -- even by standards of those of us hunting for old boats! -- and the cockpits look massive. But of course none of that need outweigh the many good points. Sabres seem to have a terrific build and reputation, though the old-fashioned salt in me has trouble getting used to that non-skeg-hung rudder. Is it a deal breaker or do I need to 'get with it'? The Southern Cross has good specs and seems right for the job. However, they have bowsprits, possibly not a deal breaker, but a bank balance breaker in marinas. Anyone else want to rank boats according to which will look after you best in a bad blow? What I can make out of Bristol 40s is that they certainly can cross oceans, but are not designed explicitly with that in mind. The enormous cockpits and absence of a bridge deck obviously come to mind. Of course that too can be rectified and would be worth rectifying if the hull/construction/stability etc amounted to a true blue ocean boat. The Valiant 40 has one major problem, at least for me, and that's cost. Valiant 37s.... maybe ideal?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome