SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Under 40' Offshore Boat Thread!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010

3Reefs is on a distinguished road
All makes sense, Mitiempo. Only probs with Spencers is there seem to be few around, they can be very old -- even by standards of those of us hunting for old boats! -- and the cockpits look massive. But of course none of that need outweigh the many good points. Sabres seem to have a terrific build and reputation, though the old-fashioned salt in me has trouble getting used to that non-skeg-hung rudder. Is it a deal breaker or do I need to 'get with it'? The Southern Cross has good specs and seems right for the job. However, they have bowsprits, possibly not a deal breaker, but a bank balance breaker in marinas. Anyone else want to rank boats according to which will look after you best in a bad blow? What I can make out of Bristol 40s is that they certainly can cross oceans, but are not designed explicitly with that in mind. The enormous cockpits and absence of a bridge deck obviously come to mind. Of course that too can be rectified and would be worth rectifying if the hull/construction/stability etc amounted to a true blue ocean boat. The Valiant 40 has one major problem, at least for me, and that's cost. Valiant 37s.... maybe ideal?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook