SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump preference
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just FYI, you may already have the hoses for the bilge pumps installed ... they were already installed with the wiring on s/v Felix IIRC, and all Frank did was add the pumps and wire them to switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Believe it or not, there is no bilge pump installed on production Gemini's.

The shower sump pump (250gph) has a T valve in a locker on the port hull and hoses that extend to each hull; you can uncoil the hose and use it to vacuum out any loose water that makes it into our 4 inch deep bilges. The pump drains via a t valve in the head's sink drain.
Fortunately Gemini's are dry boats.

I keep promising myself that some day I'll install a real bilge pump but running a hose to topside is going to be a real problem. For now I have a 1500 gph Rule wired to a 12v plug that has a hose long enough to reach my cockpit as a just in case (there is a 4 ft head for those that are interested). I also use this for anchor washdown, just throw the pump overboard, plug it into a 12v plug in my anchor locker and use the hose end to spray away mud. It's not fresh water but it's better than nothing.

BTW the Ocean Cat A certified version of the Gemini has a manual pump in the lazerette, switchable to either hull and a 1500 gph electric pump in each hull. They can't retrofit the installation once the hull liner is bonded in which is why I'm having a hard time figuring how I'll route the hoses.
I may just go with a check valve and a hose to the centerboard slots, but if the check valve fails my boat would sink about 2 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook