SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swing Keel Support
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010

SHays is on a distinguished road
Swing Keel deal.

I have a Chrysler 22 on an original trailer. The swing keel does need to rest on the trailer when travelling and not on the hull. When the swing keel is pulled all the way up, all the weight is tranferred to the hull. The original trailer has a simple board attached to the trailer, so that you can lower the keel a couple of inches to rest on that cross brace board while travelling. I can't visualize the foam V you are speaking of, but know that you need some solid support for that keel, since it is 800 pounds. That is the beauty of the boat though, she sails remarkably stable on the water, and so taking a little trouble to get the swing keel weight resting on the trailer and not fully on the hull of the boat is a worthwhile endeavor. I hope you can work the situation out. Don't let the setback keep you from sailing. Get some buddies to help you raise the mast though, it is a stout mast. Again it is hard to visualize, but perhaps you could simply Ubolt a stout piece of wood as a cross brace to the trailer, to support the keel accoringly