SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seaworthiness
Thread: Seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010

lionshooter is on a distinguished road
As a delivery captain for many years, I have sailed all types of boats (of course they were large, fairly new ones) across the Atlantic several times, and Miami to most islands south. I survived a force 5 gale in a Spirit 23 that took out 2 larger boats and killed 5 people on them. So I know boats and know what I am doing. That said, I will say one more thing. I WOULD NEVER TAKE MY SWING KEEL C-26 OUT OF SIGHT OF LAND. If it came off the top of a 40 footer, the keel would come right through the cabin upon reentry. The cabin sole has already been reinforced where it cracked around the trunk and a couple months ago it sprung another leak, I mean like a garden hose, at the base of the trunk. Fortunately, I keep a can of Gorilla Snot on board and was able to patch it within 5 minutes. The hull is only about 1/8" at the sole.
Scary, isn't it?
Ive seen the Frenchies videos, but that to me isn't much more than a lake sail on a 20 knot day. Those are not breaking waves. Watch 'Perfect Storm' and imagine being in that crap with a swing keel. Adios.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook