SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scaling in the potable water
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
Scaling in the potable water

Hello, I live aboard a 32 foot Endeavour, 1975, and I am having a problem develop in my potable water system. It has been slowly getting worse and I can't seem to figure out a way to fix it. I am hoping someone can give me a hand, I haven't found anything about this online or on the forum.

I am not sure if scaling is the proper word, but i think its some kind of growth on the tubing walls. here are my symptoms;
-odd taste to the water that goes away if boiled
-I can pieces of a brownish film come out of the foot pump faucet
-taste is worst in pressure side right as it comes out, once the tubing has been flushed a little, the taste is noticeably weaker. It also bubbles as it comes out initially and that stops as well after 10 seconds or so.

My water system is a mix of pressure and non-pressure. I have a pressure side which gives flow to a hot water heater and a faucet/shower combo in the head and a galley sink. Both have pressure hot and cold. on the non pressure side i have a foot pump in the head and galley. The pressure side is plumbed with PEX tubing and the non pressure side is that clear vinyl stuff that has the FDA numbers on it. I got it from the local Ace hardware.

I recently (within the last 6 months) re-plumbed the entire boat with new tubing I do have a very fine filter on the output of the water tank before it goes anywhere

any help would be appreicated, thanks again

Jordan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook