SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repairs and Engine Hours relationship to Boat Prices?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010

OpIvy is on a distinguished road
Repairs and Engine Hours relationship to Boat Prices?

Looking for some advice... I am currently looking at purchasing a 1985 era boat (Island Packet). I have a few questions on how people feel the price of the boat could be affected by a couple of issues. The owner stated that the boat has had a significant blister problem that was fixed at Osprey Marine Composite several years ago. He also told me the engine has an estimate 1200 hrs on it (hour meter is malfunctioned).

I am looking for some advice before I get a survey completed.

Would a previous blister problem that has been repaired affect the value of the boat? I am thinking that as long as it was repaired correctly and the survey comes out clean this would not affect the value of the boat.

At what hr meter (or estimate) should I budget for an engine replacement or rebuilt? The engine in this boat is a 18 HP diesel. My thoughts are that if the engine works well it is getting close to rebuild/refresh to help ensure some durability. I feel this should be something to budget when I purchase the boat.

Just looking to see other peoples thoughts.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook