SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boston to Montreal via Hudson River- advice?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010

mooregm5 is on a distinguished road
Hudson and Champlain Canal

Hello,

Check out that link...lots of good info. From NYC to Albany is about 3 days. If you can't take your mast down yourself (I'm not sure if the 28 can, we do on our O'day 25), you can take your mast down here on the Hudson:

* Castleton Boat Club, Castleton on the Hudson, NY; 518-732-7077 --- Note: Do it yourself gin pole.
* Hop-O-Nose Marine, Catskill, NY; 518-943-4640
* Riverview Marine Service Inc., Catskill, NY; 518-943-5311 --- Note: Cannot service catamarans, must fit in slip to reach crane.

Once the mast is on deck, you can continue on past Albany. Check out Champlain Canal Guide for complete details of the Champlain Canal. I'd suggest stopping at Waterford (or continue on to Mechanicville if there is no room). I usually suggest Fort Edward as a second stop, but there is currently a major dredging project going on in the area, so rather I'd say just make it as far as you can. You can make it from Mechanicville to Whitehall in a day, but it's a long day.

Get a map of the lake (available at the marinas in Whitehall) and have them show you the good bays to anchor in. If you put up your mast, its about 4 days up the lake, 3 days if you motor. There are many bays along the lake to anchor in, check the winds and plan accordingly.

Valcore is a GREAT anchorage. As is Ausable State Park (Long bay?). There are also a great protected anchorage just north of Westport.

I'm not familiar with the route north from the lake, but I know its a much smaller canal, so be careful of your depths, etc.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook