SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet 27 - Other Thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010

OpIvy is on a distinguished road
Island Packet 27 - Other Thoughts?

I know I am opening up a can of worms with asking thoughts on an Island Packet based on some negative comments I have seen on this forum. Let me give some background on what I am looking for...

My previous boat was a San Juan 21 swing keel. We had to get rid of this boat due to a move. My wife supports a new (to me) boat however requests that it has a larger cabin then the SJ21. We are also now a family of 4. I would also like to move up in size (27-30) to get a better understanding of boat maintenance (I.E. water, head, diesel engine, etc). Retirement dreams are to disappear for a couple of years so I need this boat to be a good experience for the family (especially the MRS) and anticipate weekend/longer trips onboard.

I will be sailing in very shallow water (3 ft in areas - not hard bottom but sludge), therefore I require a draft of under 3'. The boat I am looking for needs to be capable with this draft and be able to costal cruising. I found the IP27 shoal draft boat that has a nice size cabin, meets my draft requirements, and is in my mind a capable costal cruiser.

I understand that the IP27 is not a fast boat however the trade off of having a large interior makes the MRS happy which mean more time on the water. I feel that pointing to wind will be a challenge with any boat due to the draft limitation but I am not looking to race.

What is everyones thought on this boat and are there any other boats I should look at that could meet my needs....

Some come close like:
Seaward 26RK (nice but questionable keel)
Seaward 32RK (dido)
Bayfield 29 (Draft)
Catalina 30 (Draft)
Telstar 28 (Cabin, Concern on performance with no Draft, Non-Mono)

Look forward to the insight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook