Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
You can count me in for the cruise to Block next year. I am in Mt. Sinai as well with Barry and John (Wandering Star). I have been going to Block each year for the past 3 years since I have been sailing and I love it. I always did a post with pics of our trips but we usually head out with the tide, stop at Mattituck then head out with the tide again the next morning for a straight shot to Block.
Barry - The only downside I can think of by leaving Mt. Sinai at 10PM and doing a straight shot all the way there is we are pretty much guaranteed to be going against the tide doing 3knts or less for about 4-6 hours and maybe more of the trip. That's why I usually make it a two day affair by leaving with the Ebb to get to Mattituck and then for the longer leg from Mattituck to Block sometimes leaving at 3:30am to catch the start of the Ebb because so I can hit the Race at peak Ebb tide sometimes doing 10.5 knots over the ground making the whole trip ALOT quicker. Since the current in the east end of the Sound is so strong, if you do it that way you won't see below 7.5-8knts on your GPS the entire time. However I would love to do the trip in one shot though and especially if we have a fleet with us so I am in either way.
Jeez I just can't wait for this winter to end and to get back out sailing again with all this planning for next season already!