SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet 27 - Other Thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
I think the IP 27 is probably a good choice, given your requirements. For its length, it has a very big interior. It draws very little water, but it comes at the cost of speed and pointing ability. I have always liked the quality of IP. I think they are overpriced, especially while new, but they are better built boats than most of the others on your list.

I do not like the seawards. Too much plastic. The interiors are very small for their size, but that is because they were designed to be trailorable. I also have concerns about the keel.

While the Telstar is a nice boat, it you are looking for something with a lot of volume for the Mrs, this is not the boat for you. Trimarans have very small interiors compared to monos of similar length.

I like the catalina the best. I think it is the best compromise between performance, cruising ability, size, quality... The only issue is it will not work if you really require a 3' draft.

I don't know what your price range is, but you should look at the Beneteau 311 centerboard. I am not usually a centerboard fan, but given your need for 3' draft, I think it is the way to go. It has a great interior that will please the Mrs, and should perform better than the IP. There are some on the market which are about 10 years old and in good condition.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook