Join Date: Jan 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 questions
I have become interested in a 1980 Hunter 36 sloop. It actually looks pretty good - cockpit not too big - looks to be quite fast - not too heavy and elegant design. I am having trouble finding information on the boat and have a couple of questions:
1) I seem to read that this particular boat was better built than most Hunters at the time. Can anyone comment on how seaworthy they feel this boat is?
2) Is the hull solid or cored? If cored should I pass as its 30 years old? Does this boat have a reputation for hull deck joint issues?
3) Engine is down needs an expensive rebuild - can a 13,500 pound boat be repowered with a small economical outboard just for docking operations and sailed the rest of the time? What about sculling it?
4) Is this boat worthy of some cruising say to the Bahamas or is it a dock queen by nature? I understand a lot is the actual specimen itself and that properly equipped and outfitted most boats can do anything.
5) Is this boat reasonable for singlehanding? Again I understand the subjective nature of this question but am looking for peoples opinions...