SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 questions
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
Well I have a couple of ideas about those rules. First I have the small outboard stowed away for marinas, canals and harbours that don't allow sailing (I also avoid said areas like the plague if possible). The second is I tell the Coast Guard that my engine just broke down and I can't start it for the life of me so I had no choice but to sail. I am a bit of an alternative energy fanatic so I will be having solar panels for the batteries and possible windpower also though I want to avoid noise and hear that wind vanes can make quite a racket. I dont want to put any holes in the boat to mount an outboard there must be some way to put a bracket on without drilling the hull. Wasn't Slocum's spray about this size and didn't he scull it? I dont care if it goes 2 knots or less in the marina and am looking to avoid marinas and spend as much time as possible in remote anchorages.

I am not completely confident I can handle a boat this big with no engine but I am inspired to try - has anyone tried cruising a 13,000 pound boat engineless and mostly singlehanded? I bet a hundred years ago this wouldn't have seemed odd at all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook