SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 questions
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfarquhar View Post
I am pretty serious about not having an inboard motor - I can't stand the smell of gas or diesel and I dont want to be sleeping in the same space as an engine. If I was to put an outboard on it it would only be to take it in tight spots out to sea - I love the idea of removing the propeller for more hull speed. I could probably stow away the outboard in some sort of vented lockerbox on deck so as to not have any fumes below. Strictly for maneuvering about the docks what would be the smallest outboard I could get away with? I absolutely detest engines and the burning of oil. I intend to sail and if theres no wind to just enjoy the moment - I dont have the time pressures of schedules. I want to have a minimalist cruiser eliminating as many systems as possible. I am wondering if I should perhaps go for a smaller boat to facilitate my desire to be almost engineless however I find them claustraphobic and cramped. I dont intend to spend much time in a slip at all - anchorages and moores and lots of ferrying supplies by dinghy.
Like I said, smallest you could get away with is probably a 10hp, with the smallest pitch prop you can find for it. That size boat needs at least 30hp for hull speed, and they came with an underpowered 20hp from the factory. You will have to add a motor mount bracket, and reinforce the transom. The transom on the boat has a very significant slope from the rail to the water so lifting, starting, moving, touching, mounting an outboard is going to be a pain. Maybe you would be better off with a much smaller boat? A boat that size NEEDS an engine, you cannot move it by yourself without one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.

Last edited by eMKay; 01-31-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook