SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 41oi
Thread: Morgan 41oi
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
There are many different layouts with varied berth and galley arrangements. We raised to children aboard and enjoyed the separate walkover with the aft cabin for our children. I continue to enjoy my 413 ketch, but nothing about it is essential to our use. I definitely think the 415 and 416 models with the hull-deck joint raised to the toe rail where it is less vulnerable is a good choice, but I've had no damage. Several cautions for shopping: Look for corrosion at the base of the mast where the aluminum mast sits on the steel step. Inspect the back up plate for the forestay at the bow in the chain locker & look for any sign of separation. Inspect the rudder for a hairline crack showing delamination of the port & starboard halves (good to lay a tab of fiberglass on this seam at some time even without a current problem). Some deck soft spots can be a negative, but they are cosmetic and not a structural problem. Port leaks have been a problem for boats that have not been well maintained. Many other cautions that would be common to any used vessel and subject to survey. Good luck, take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook