SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 questions
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
Don't mean to sound like I have all the answers - this will be my first big boat. I've been to keelboat sailing school in Newport, grew up sailing dinghies and kayaks and have spent a lot of time on the water and in the field for work. I am on here to absorb opinions and I appreciate the gut reaction that a large boat without an inboard is going to have some problems.

That said it comes down to money. The boat in question has already taken a huge hit on resale due to its toasted inboard and has come within my grasp. I could buy a smaller boat with a functional inboard for the same price but I am very claustraphobic and would really like something a little bigger. 13,500 pounds seems quite light many 32 footers seem about this weight. Perhaps one day I'll have an extra 10k to rebuild the inboard but for now jerry rigging a small outboard for docking and learning to sail well is the only option I can afford.

As to systems like refrigeration I am trying to eliminate as many systems as possible perhaps only those legally required. A spray bottle for a shower and a five gallon bucket for a head are being considered here... I am in my twenties and see this as an adventure focused on the sailing itself more than anything else. I want to spend as much time in silence under sail as possible everything else is a means to that end.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook