SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Lakes in the US to Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Definitely a "no" to Lake of the Ozarks - it's essentually a wide, snaking river full of high powered cigarette/performance boats and cruisers. It is a great place though if you want the waterfront home, have a powerboat, and to enjoy the numerous waterfront bars and restaraunts (and "party coves" for that matter). On any given weekend it is a near suicide misssion to be out on that lake on a boat less than 30 feet.

My home port is on Stockton Lake in Missouri and it's funny because that lake is one that has been touted on websites as one of the "Top 10 Best Sailing Lakes" yet I personally have never seen it published anywhere after searching. Having lived and sailed on both coasts (SoCal and NH/Maine) I will say it is a great lake and worth the 2 hour drive from Kansas City. Very clear and deep water, good wind, excellent fishing, a ton of wildlife, no lakefront development, and sailboats make up the majority of boats on the water - the lake remains very uncrowded and there are endless opportunities to discover new coves for secluded overnight anchorage.

If anyone does come up with this mystical article/listing of the "Top 10 Best Sailing Lakes" please post it.

Tartan 28
Peregrine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by drgamble; 02-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook