SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1977 Tartan 30
Thread: 1977 Tartan 30
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
1977 Tartan 30

I just got back from looking at a clean 1977 Tartan 30. I liked the boat on an emotional level. The mast and rigging looked in very good shape, the rudder was solid, the interior just barely cleared my head (when I took my shoes off I didn't have to bend my neck). Initially I thought I wanted a wheel for the romance of it but reading Roth and about self steering it seems a tiller might be simpler, more reliable and easier to self steer with.

Two things that struck me as possible cons on this boat:
1) Gasoline Atomic 4. Have read that Diesel is safe and Gas is not. I intend to go cruising in whatever boat I buy.

2) No transom ladder - if I ever get knocked off and am pulling in my lifeline it might be hard to get back aboard - I will be singlehanding most of the time.

Otherwise it looked pretty good.

Can anyone comment on the Tartan 30? How safe for bluewater? How bad is having a gas inboard? Any common problems on these boats I should ask the surveyor about if I pull the trigger on this?

I was looking at a Hunter 36 for a similar price with no engine but this might be "the one"

I only want to do one survey if I can help it. All words of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook