SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Job
Thread: Bottom Job
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
bottom paint

Not having a good bottom paint will allow all kinds of stuff to grow on your bottom and will really slow you down. If you aren't racing or care about how fast you go then don't worry about it. However it will increase your fuel costs if you motor very far.

If you get a bottom job, whether or not you do it yourself make sure the paint is designed for fresh water if that's where you moor it. I didn't do that for my last job and was more concerned with the color of the paint and now it seems that I have to get out and push when I go sailing. Boats that I passed easily with good paint now pass me. Stuff grows over night and really drags me down and I can't wait until I get it off and good paint on this Spring.

As far as being hazardous related to scrubbing the bottom in the water, don't swallow it and shower when you get out of the water!

$2000 sounds a bit high to me. Get other quotes and make sure what paint as well as how many coats they are quoting. Two is a minimum for most paints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook