SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Lakes in the US to Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennisaint View Post
If you are serious about sailing, not just playing around in a dinghy, the only place to be is the Great Lakes.
Talk about "Lake Superior." Dinghies aren't serious sailing -- who knew? Poor Ben Ainslie. A life wasted. Come play on our Bucc18 in Wyoming in 35 kts, you'll learn just how serious it can get.

For us Lake Inferior plebes, the Finger Lakes of upstate NY are indeed excellent. Winds are spotty in summer; the shallow northern ends can be weedy; and the deep southern ends are narrow (1/2 mile in places) and walled in by hills both shores. But it's lazy times and wine country, genteel in a 1920s kind of way. I prefer Cayuga Lake to Seneca, because the Union Springs end is wider and has lots of little coves. Canandaigua is pretty at sixteen miles long and some proper mansions on the west side. I grew up there. All of these lakes are short of public access and amenities.

Out West, Flathead Lake gets good reviews. SO does Pend Oreille Can't beat the scenery of Jackson Lake; the rangers are mellow, the afternoon winds are NOT.

Yellowstone Lake offers the chance to sail in a volcano; anchoring is iffy and the regs are brutal.

Down the road in Pinedale are some enchanting lakes; our favorite is Fremont. It's 10 miles long and only 1 wide at most, but the fishing is great and if you get bored easily, the best wilderness mountain range in the Lower 48 starts at the NE end of it. Park your boat and shoulder that pack.

For some really scrappy inland sailing that emphasizes wind over all other considerations, Seminoe, Pathfinder, Glendo, and Granby deserve mention. Tahoe is, of course, stupendously beautiful. Texas has some large reservoirs with active sailing presence; others can speak for those. I like lake sailing. You get to tack a lot. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook