SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Lakes in the US to Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The greatest lake to sail on is Beaver Dam lake in Northern Indiana. I spent my youth sailing the summers away on that lake. The lake is a little under 400 acres. But, for a 12 year old kid and a old wood Lighting sailboat, it was every bit the adventures I read about in the books. Breaking waves that were 2 feet tall. Sea monsters, well you would see a snapping turtle every now and then. The Pirates that board your vessel, that would be my Dad coming out in the motor boat telling me it was time for dinner.

A few years back, I bought a 15 foot Mutineer in Tennessee. A toy to play with, when I didn't want to play with our Beneteau. On our way back to New York after picking up the boat, I stopped with the boat at Beaver Dam. We launched our new to us boat and all 6 of us piled in and across the lake we went. Grandmother was not impressed how the boat was overloaded with her grandkids, But the kids and I were loving it.

Yep, 40 years later sailing with my kids, Beaver Dam Lake is still the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bubb2; 02-01-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook