SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1977 Tartan 30
Thread: 1977 Tartan 30
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfarquhar View Post
To what extent is it stupidity to sleep in an enclosed cabin containing a gasoline system? Especially a 33 year old gas engine thats probably on its last legs. Somehow I am uncomfortable living in a cabin full of gasoline. I suppose a repower could be done to diesel at considerable cost. I could just run the atomic 4 until it dies and worry about it later. How common are fires from gas inboards?

I take it there may be a silence because no one has lived to tell the tale...
I think you are over thinking the dangers involved here. Your tank is probably under your cockpit or at least behind a bulkhead in the after part of the boat.
If you smell gas you need to shut off the main fuel valve. We do this every time we leave the boat. It's really about common sense and using your nose.
I don't sleep on my boat as often as I would like but when I do I always have some ventilation (hatch boards removed, open ports and/or hatch). You would not want to sleep in a sealed cabin of a boat that had a diesel system either.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook