SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Lakes in the US to Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
The greatest lake to sail on is Beaver Dam lake in Northern Indiana. I spent my youth sailing the summers away on that lake. The lake is a little under 400 acres. But, for a 12 year old kid and a old wood Lighting sailboat, it was every bit the adventures I read about in the books. Breaking waves that were 2 feet tall. Sea monsters, well you would see a snapping turtle every now and then. The Pirates that board your vessel, that would be my Dad coming out in the motor boat telling me it was time for dinner.

A few years back, I bought a 15 foot Mutineer in Tennessee. A toy to play with, when I didn't want to play with our Beneteau. On our way back to New York after picking up the boat, I stooped with the boat at Beaver Dam. We launched our new to us boat and all 6 of us piled in and across the lake we went. Grandmother was not impressed how the boat was overloaded with her grandkids, But the kids and I were loving it.

Yep, 40 years later sailing with my kids, Beaver Dam Lake is still the best.
My easily-amused brother! Adventure is what you make of it. John Gill spent most of his days climbing rocks under 20 feet tall. His name is legend, and some of his 50-yr old routes are still beyond all but a half-dozen people. Nice tale, Bubb.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook