SailNet Community - View Single Post - 25 foot trailer yacht - Rudder Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010

landmarine is on a distinguished road
Smile 25 foot trailer yacht - Rudder Questions

I have a GRP 25 foot trailer yacht that I'm wanting to improve the rudder on. Basically the foam GRP one I have weighs almost 10kg and is not optimised in shape and its leading edge is 40mm aft of the gudgeon pivot line - It feels like I'm dragging 2 buffalos!!

I intend to construct a new one out of Divinycell (HD) / e-glass / epoxy resin (resin infusion) - and wanted a few tips if possible on the following subjects?:

1) Is the green code Divinycell suitable? blade is approx 1300mm x 360mm - and will need two 20mm thick sheets laminated together with e-glass in between for datum line and strength at the edges
2) What would you recommend in terms of laminate cloths? Someone suggested two layers of uni-glass or carbon followed by a single tri-axial sheet??
3) What additional thickness allowance do I need to make for the 3? skins (what cloth weight should I use)
4) I'm getting assistance from a boat builder but just wanted a 2nd opinion on things - The trailing edge is the difficult one as we need to have a thickness of no more than 1-2mm here. We are using a modified NACA 0012 section with hollowed out trailing edges (concave on exit straights)
5) any other pointers you think might be helpful please??

Any assistance appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook