SailNet Community - View Single Post - Move boat to Maryland: Did you pay excise tax?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Maryland is the state which, last year, established three "school zones" in areas where there are no schools OR school children, as a clever way to set up speed cameras and then send out the tickets at higher rates because a "school zone" was being violated.
While I also disagree with this practice, I think you are stretching the truth by saying that Maryland created these. Actually it is the municipalities, not the state, that are collecting the revenue.

Here in PA municipalities were banned from using radar detectors and cameras for decades. It's only within the last year or two that the state allowed municipalities to use them, but the state takes such a huge piece of the action that there is no profit in it for the municipalities. So the towns will only buy the equipment if there is a true safety hazard. This is one of the only things that the PA legislature has ever gotten right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And as of 1/1/2009 NJ became the first state to require a boating safety course or similar certification for ALL boaters in NJ waters, including folks transiting across from the neighboring states. Either a NJ course, or one from your home state, no grandfathering no age exemptions.
And what is wrong with this?

After reading Chapman's as a kid I never took one of these courses. However, just as a refresher, I completed the PA course two days ago. I did not realize that NJ required this for transient traffic. But it's a good thing I have it since I'll be on the Delaware River.

And it's a good thing for me that those other nut cases will have some training.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook