SailNet Community - View Single Post - Port Washington to Block Island
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We were thinking of stopping in Mt Siani on our trip to Block we are going on to Marthas Vineyard from there on our trip from the Chesapeake. I have beensailing the LI Sound for a few weeks every summer. Isnt it possible to go from Mt Siani to say Greenport or Orient in one long day ( I know you will have the tide against you some of the way) The distance from Port Jefferson to the R2G Bouy at the Plum Gut about 10 miles from Greenport/ Orient is about 42 nm. averaging 5 knots that only about 9 hours. Once in Greenport you wouldnt have to worry about the tides as much on the way to Block correct as you are outside Plum Gut and the Race.? I have never been in Matiak inlet. Is there enough water in there? anchorages, moorings? Just in case we decide to pull in if the Plum Gut tides are ripping against us?

We would love to meet up with some of you on our trip in the Sound this year.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-03-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook