SailNet Community - View Single Post - Daydream Yacht Info
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010

DaydreamingCat is on a distinguished road
Daydream

Hi there, I have just come across this thread while doing something completely different (gotta love the internet)....anyway, my Dad was Peter Fletcher and yes he hand built the first Daydream back in the 50's in his Mum's garden in Bondi (over looking Tamarama). House was in Fletcher Avenue back then but is now called Illawong Avenue, I think, from memory. I have old photos of the original Daydream if that is of any help :-) and I know that my Dad started the original Sydney to Auckland yacht race in that Daydream that was in '56 or '57 (I think...I wasn't born yet) which may have turned into a "to Suva" race. My Dad's younger brother is still around and helped to build it and sailed on it a bit too. So I could ask him for info for you if that's any help. I live in the UK now but grew up sailing with Dad on Pittwater and to Lord Howe Island and up and down the east coast. If there are any old yachties left on LHI they'd be able to tell you all you wanted to know about Daydream.Oh and the dinghy he towed behind 'Daydream' was called 'forty winks'. He loved those boats!! If anyone knows where the original Daydream is now I'd be very interested.
Let me know if you want some photos or more info.(and Sorry! I know it is a year since you asked :-)
Cheers-
Catriona Fletcher
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook