SailNet Community - View Single Post - Escaping the Paradigm with $300,000...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
is that a deluxe policy?

I've done some shopping at Health Insurance - Affordable Health Insurance Quotes, Individual Health Insurance and have seen some decent policies for under $500/mo for 2 people over 50 yo. They have some under $300 but they seem hardly worth it.
No, not a premium policy by any means, it's a pretty standard BCBS family health insurance policy. Our employer pays about 2/3 of that premium each month, we pay the remaining. But if we went off on a sailing sabbatical with our family, we'd have to pay the entire amount to continue it.

There are probably other policies that are less expensive, but I'd have to study the coverage. And I wouldn't want to be any LESS insured than we are now, with a boatload of kids. As it is, on top of the premiums, we have another $4-5K medical expenses annually (deductibles, co-pays, prescriptions, dental, orthodontics, opthalmology (sp?), etc). All pretty standard stuff.

So when I see some of these monthly budget numbers, while certainly helpful in some respects, I'm somewhat incredulous as to whether they are very applicable to an american** family with a bunch of kids.

Medical is just one small part of that equation, too. The boat needs to be bigger (higher initial costs, higher refit costs, higher maintenance costs, insurance, etc etc), the food and clothing budgets are much larger, cost of distant learning/education, higher family travel and entertainment costs, etc etc.

Anyway, interesting discussion.

** Families from countries with socialized medicine will have very different calculus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-04-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added **
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook