SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing to hawaii from CA?
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 02-04-2010
nissantwa

sailing to Hawaii

I apologize for my first post, kind of flip. After sleeping on it and putting myself in your place, I have some free advice. As mentioned in another reply, Winter is not a great time to be looking for a Trans-Pac berth from San Francisco. You'd be better off on the East coast, looking for a boat to Bahamas & beyond. Jet Blue and Virgin have fares that run about $200 r/t so not out of the question. A two day sail across the Gulf Stream is a good start. You'll know if you like it or not before you pull into Freeport. Then you can keep going or fly home. Hawaii? What if 3 days out you decide you hate it, you're hosed. As already mentioned, not many folks would need a newbie for a long haul. Just a thought but the Baha Ha Ha is a popular trip from San Diego to Mexico. Lots of boats looking for crew and just the leg from San Francisco to San Diego is a manly cruise. they have a website & crew list sign up sheet, Latitude 38 magazine is free at marine stores and champions that event. Start getting some experience by sailng the bay, maybe rail meat in a race or dinghy sailing. Read a blog or a book. Get some experience and make yourself marketable when you apply for a crew position. That, or learn to cook. That's the back door to cruising. Hope you like sailing. It's worth doing.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome