SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing to hawaii from CA?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010

nissantwa is on a distinguished road
sailing to Hawaii

I apologize for my first post, kind of flip. After sleeping on it and putting myself in your place, I have some free advice. As mentioned in another reply, Winter is not a great time to be looking for a Trans-Pac berth from San Francisco. You'd be better off on the East coast, looking for a boat to Bahamas & beyond. Jet Blue and Virgin have fares that run about $200 r/t so not out of the question. A two day sail across the Gulf Stream is a good start. You'll know if you like it or not before you pull into Freeport. Then you can keep going or fly home. Hawaii? What if 3 days out you decide you hate it, you're hosed. As already mentioned, not many folks would need a newbie for a long haul. Just a thought but the Baha Ha Ha is a popular trip from San Diego to Mexico. Lots of boats looking for crew and just the leg from San Francisco to San Diego is a manly cruise. they have a website & crew list sign up sheet, Latitude 38 magazine is free at marine stores and champions that event. Start getting some experience by sailng the bay, maybe rail meat in a race or dinghy sailing. Read a blog or a book. Get some experience and make yourself marketable when you apply for a crew position. That, or learn to cook. That's the back door to cruising. Hope you like sailing. It's worth doing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook