SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed on bluewater capable boats
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010
Dreaming...

Hmm is on a distinguished road
Question Advice needed on bluewater capable boats

Hi all. I've been reading and learning a lot since the summer here and now I think it's time to introduce myself and start asking opinions...
Well, around 20 years ago I was first time on a sailboat and loved the whole thing. Since that day, I had the dream of owning a sailboat and live abord for some time if not forever and sail around the Caribbean and then cross atlantic single handedly to Med and cruise around Turkey, Greece and Italy... This was just a dream to dream about until recently because of being merried with a child. Now, single again, I started actually planning things. It will probably take around 3 to 5 years for me to get prepared financially and experience wise. Meanwhile I have been looking for a suitably priced bluewater capable boat that cost around $ 15 k. Bristol 29, 30 and 32, Alberg 30 are the boats I found out to be suitable for what I want to do. Idea is to collect as much info and ideas as possible, then fly to US when the time comes and buy the boat then finally start sailing towards Caribbean...
** *Now, I would like to have your opinons and ideas about the boats. I want a boat around 30- 32 feet. With enough tankage, especially for water; shower preferebly within the boat, not a sun shower. So, do you think the price I set is realistic for a sound and capable boat? Where would be the best place to search for a good boat for the price I hope to pay. Living so far and trying to locate and hopefully buy a boat in US will be challenging I know but this part of the world is incredibly expensive to buy a boat, besides I want to cross the ocean only once just in case if I don't have the guts to do it the second time
All income is highly appreciated and thanks a lot in advance.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook