SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed on bluewater capable boats
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010
Dreaming...

Hmm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Are there not any Halberg Rasseys, older Jeanneau's, Beneateaus that would work for what you want local? To my mind, that would be simpler than coming over here, buying a boat, figuring out how to outfit here, vs at least there, you can live in your home/apt or equal, and do at a reasonable leisure.

Besides, do you really want an old shoe?

Marty
Do I want an old shoe? Actually that was one thing I try to find out by asking those... How good an idea is it to buy an old shoe and put my life in it?
You are right about finding a suitable boat around here and that was the original plan. Flying a EU flag would be much easier for me and refitting her and doing all the preparation at home would be much comforteble. But as I mentioned in my first post, boats are very expensive in Europe and even more expensive in Finland. Finland is not the place where lots of bluewater boats are awailable for sale and if found one, price would be way out of my reach including all necessary refittings. Buying one elsewhere in Europe is nearly as costly as buying one in US. Besides I really like the looks of Bristols But if a suitable boat is found I sure consider buying one here too...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook