SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed on bluewater capable boats
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that many countries will not accept a STATE-REGISTERED boat from the US, as US States have no sovereignty internationally. Only a US citizen can have a US-Flagged boat, which would be a USCG documented boat. The further from the US you get, the less likely a state-registration is going to be recognized.

Since you're not a US Citizen, you'd have to flag your boat elsewhere.

If you're serious about getting a boat in the US, it might be well worthwhile to have someone local to the boat check it out before you fly over to see it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
Thank you all for the input I understand what you all mean by suggesting me to find a boat here in Europe. Almost every article or opinion I have read prior to my first post here suggested a ocean going boat should have full keel. Leaving Hallberg Rassy aside, I don't know a single boat with full keel in Europe. And a HR from seventies cost $50.000 or more. Add to this all the equipment to be replaced or fixed and I could only keep dreaming... When it comes to Beneteaus, I wonder how many people would consider crossing Atlantic in one; I wouldn't. Again, following this forum , I so understood that displacement of the boat is important. Neither Jeanneau nor Beneteau are heavy boats. And, again, heavily priced compared to the ones in US, very heavily indeed. Sailing is luxury in this part of the world but lifestile in North America and I can see that clearly in prices.
When I talked about shower, I did mean I needed one while I sail around Caribbean, not during the ocean crossing. That would be too valuable water to be wasted for showers
I am not planning to import it to EU ever because of the tax and CE certification. Instead, I would have state registration in the US and keep the boat in Turkey where things seem more reasonable and as long as I keep my US flag, things would work out smoothly
I recently found a Bristol 29, asking price is $ 7000 and owner says he consider all "real" offers. Another one is asking $ 11500 for a B32 from seventies. Put 15 k on that for fitting and 3 k for flight and accomodation in US and still far cheaper then buying a fin keel boat with nearly half the displacement of a Bristol or Alberg 30.
Well, I, as told before, I'm just asking for opinions and info at the moment and try to learn so when I am ready to hit the road for the actual shopping, I know what I look for therefore every opinion is very welcome and thank you all again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook