SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed on bluewater capable boats
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Don't discount fin keel boats. Many are better sailers than full keel boats and
being newer in most cases better built as well with less work needed by you.
I think if I were you I would look in the UK for as mentioned a Westerly (maybe the Storm) Contessa 32, She 31, or a Rival 32 or something similar. There is a huge selection and you're closer to home so travel expenses would be less. I have an aquaintance in England refitting a She 31 at this time and it is a very capable boat from a great designer,Sparkman & Stevens. It will go anywhere a full keel boat will and faster as well as a better sailer. Here's a link to a She 31 for sale in the UK now and the price isn't too bad. She 31 for sale - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

As far as importing a boat, as far as I know if you are in the EU for 6 months regardless of flag you have no choice but to pay the duty (vat). This would apply to a Canadian or American citizen as well.

Here's a link to Yachtsnet in the UK, where the above link came from, and you can look at their brokerage and the archives have a lot of detail and pics of their past sales. This will give you a good idea of what is available in the UK. Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales