SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

replacing our Universal 25XP

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  redhead78 
#1 ·
We are replacing the Universal 25XP on our Morgan 34. We are going back and forth between another Universal: the 25XPB or going with a Yanmar 3ym30. We will be doing the installation ourselves. The Universal is more expensive but we figure it would be a very close replacement and therefore easier to install than the Yanmar, whose mounting dimensions re different.

Anyone have experience replacing their Universal with either another Universal or the Yanmar?
I would appreciate any advice/observations/warnings.

Thanks
Patrick

#5 ·
If you were otherwise happy with the Universal, I'd stick with it. Engine parts will be available inexpensively through Kubota, an option not available with Yanmar. If your present engine is FWC, have you considered simply rebuilding it? No installation complications and, again, parts/bearings/gaskets etc from Kubota should make that option quite palatable.

#6 ·
The problem changing engine manufacturers is the different dimensions, shaft length, prop size, and hose placement. etc. Our last repower evolved into relocating the hot water heater, new motor mounts, new shaft ( shorter), cutlass bearing ( the shaft was out anyway), relocating coolant tanks, and replacing control cables because of change in throttle location and transmission shift lever.
Each costing more in parts and labor. I'd keep it simple with a like kind engine.

#7 ·
Unfortunately, even sticking to the same engine manufacturer/marinizer can necessitate the same upgrades/updates as the base model of the engine in the used will have changed since the model in the boat. The marinizer of the engine has littlle to no influence on the position of some of the engine controls and services, even Yanmar had changes to which side the heat exchanger and exhaust was on the change from the GM Series to it's replacement, the YM series.

#8 ·
patrick, where are you located, I am in the process of taking delivery of a beta marine Kubota 35 HP. I am doing repower myself. Check with Kubota dealer I think they have a kubota setup for the universal. I am using SoundMarine Diesel in Conn great dealer support......Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.