SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Windlass
Thread: Anchor Windlass
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Concept 1 is the smallest of a trio of Lewmar Concept windlasses. All of these were built with a grey base. It is the same as the Ocean series which was all s/s, including the base.

I have the Concept 2 (now discontinued, I think). It has been flawless for many years and does a great job on my 42' 28,000lb displacement sloop. Easily handles my 45lb CQR and 250' of 3/8" HT chain. Had a 60-lb plow for awhile in the islands...no problem.

Very good build quality. The Concept 1 is for smaller boats, though.

For all boats and windlasses: the windlass is just to lower and pull up the anchor, NOT for breaking it loose, holding the boat at anchor, pulling the boat up to the anchor in a strong wind, etc. If you use it properly, you can get by with any windlass capable of handling the weight of your anchor and rode.

For snugging at anchor, use a chain stopper (Lewmar makes a really nice one for about $120 at WM or Defender). Also, of course, use one or two nylon bridles and chain hooks whenever there's significant wind.

Bottom line: for a smaller boat, i.e., under 38-40' or so, the Concept 1 should be fine, and at this price its a very good buy. Especially considering that I paid $2,670 for my Concept 2 some 13 years ago and it was on sale then!

IMHO,

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 02-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook