SailNet Community - View Single Post - Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010

BrickPearson26 is on a distinguished road
Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP

Hi All,
I am currently anchored in Treasure Cay in the middle of the Abacos. I just got hired for a job in Maine, and they want me to start the position ASAP. So, my question is how soon can I safely make the trip back up the coast. My route will be sail to from West End to West Palm Beach (I need to stop in Jupiter to pick up my charts from a friends house), and then take the ICW up to VA, then go up the Chesapeake, down the Delaware, up the Jersey coast, go through Long Island Sounds and take the C&C canal. My destination is the Piscataqua River, which is the southernmost part of Maine.
I am sailing on a 1973 Pearson 30. While we am open to hopping out of the ICW for 24 hours if the weather is right, we do not want to do any extended offshore passages.
When we sailed down here, we left October 26th from the Piscataqua River and were cold practically the entire way south. We got into a couple of gales, and got beat up pretty good off the Jersey Coast. Basically, I want the cruise north to be as comfortable as possible. Cold weather does not really bother my crew or I. However, nasty weather does. I want to try to avoid dangerous conditions if at all possible.
How early can a boat safely make the trip north?
I told my employer that I cannot make it there until at least early to mid May, but I said I cannot commit to any date because its all weather dependent. Is May reasonable?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook