SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Installed a helix mooring anchor last weekend...

81K views 75 replies 32 participants last post by  Concrescence 
#1 ·
Just thought i'd share our installation experience with the helix mooring anchor. Originally i was going to install two of these anchors but i decided that one would be sufficiant and i could always add the second one later if i felt the need. Unfortunately we didn't take the camera out on the skiff with us so all i have are prep pictures... but you will get the idea.

There were three of us (My dad, my neighbor and myself) but it could have easily been done by two. As you can see in the pictures we used a 10' joint of 4" PVC schedule 40 pipe to extend the turning position above the water. It worked like a charm; we used an old bumper jack/lug wrench handle to turn the pipe and it was fairly easy to turn and was rigid with no flex in the pipe and relatively light weight. We marked the PVC pipe at one foot increments starting at the anchor eye so we would know how deep the anchor was. We even attached the 1/2" chain to the anchor eye and had it fed through the pipe while we turned it down into the mud. The only dive needed was to take the bolt out that had the eye pinned to the PVC pipe so we could slip it off... easier said than done but not that bad. Visibility in the murky water was about a foot or so. I managed to avoid the jellyfish and bluecrabs while on the bottom taking the bolt out of the anchor eye. :D We decided to sink the anchor 1-2' deeper than the creek bed for a total depth of 8' which meant digging down to take the bolt out of the eye. All installation work was done from our neighbors 12' Carolina Skiff which was anchored three ways to keep it in place. The water was seven ft deep when we placed this one.

These are the anchors...

Photobucket

Here are the prep pictures...

Dad, Bella dog and I...

Heavy with the 1/2" chain attached... but not too bad. You can see the holes drilled at 1' increments for putting the tire tool in place turn turn with.

Closer view...

Different angle...

Here is a better picture that shows the holes for turning... as the anchor sank deeper we would simply pull the tire tool out and move it up to the next hole and continue turning... much like a giant cork screw. The rod in the picture was what we originally planned to use but it ended up being too long to manage so that's when the tire tool came into play.

I wish i had the actual install pics but i think you get the idea. :)

See less See more
#62 ·
Klem
That's what I suspected. They are light. Discovered they are hollow; not solid. Great for 500kg load minus a safety factor in a temporary setting. Thanks
Goodone1
Did you follow up Helix Anchor and get a cost delivered to Australia? They seem like the best option I've been able to find.
Harry

#63 ·
G'day Harry
I enquired about the Wombat system last year but eventually gave up because I couldn't get any specific info about the holding power from the manufaturers/developers. My impression was that they were for smaller than 30 ft-ers. Finally I had a 10ft helix anchor made locally. I'm goimg to attempt to install it Nov. 17th by the method described in the forum. Wish me luck.
Cheers
Goodone1

#65 ·
Harry
With the help of three friends, I installed my jerry- built helix anchor using YARDPRO's 'PVC pipe' method over the weekend. We moored sternfast two metres off the wharf and secured port and starboard bowlines to the river bank and a houseboat moored nearby.
On our first attempt we snagged something about 2 metres down and for a while, were unable to screw up or down. We eventually retrieved it with the assistance of a 4WD and managed to drill the full 3 metres on our second attempt. It was tough going... even into swamp marsh !!

If you look closely at YARDPRO's photos, you'll notice the wooden disc fixed to the anchor shaft to keep the shaft in the centre of the PVC pipe. It's a touch off genius that works like a charm!

I apologise for the lack of photos...all hands on deck were busy.

Sean G

#68 ·
Greetings Harry
Re: The helix anchor rig
The marina pool depth varies by 1 ft (plus or minus) depending on the prevailing wind and the river flow; which is regulated by a system of weirs and dams upstream. I felt fairly confident therefore just using a nylon rode from the eye of the anchor to the buoy and a slightly longer chain as back-up.

I would have prefered a bungee rode but was quoted about $1000 so I'll see how this set-up works for a while.

I don't really have any hard data to back me up; but I'm sure that if we had hurricanes here, the anchor would hold fast.
Cheers
Sean

#69 ·
Sean

Re: "...using a nylon rode from the eye of the anchor to the buoy and a slightly longer chain as back-up.

I would have preferred a bungee rode but was quoted about $1000 so I'll see how this set-up works for a while".

A thousand dollars ($1,000) seems like too much 'profit' for some good quality tested rubber extrusion with attached fittings.

Can anyone assist with a more reasonable source of rubber (bungee type) mooring rode that can replace the use of chain for a permanent mooring?
Harry Tams

#70 ·
There has been quite a bit about helix type mooring, around Sydney in relation to protecting the sea grass. I haven't had time to look it up but I think I read it in the Afloat magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.