SailNet Community - View Single Post - CAL 25 cockpit not draining
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010

Skylark23455 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The problem would be when the water level in the cockpit was able to run into the boat via the companionway or a cockpit locker... It would take a long time but eventually it could sink... but in the meantime you'd have a lot of water below with all the attendant damage from that.
That exact thing happened to me last fall. Pine needles had clogged the scuppers and 3 horrific rain falls filled the cockpit and started to run down the companion way. Fortunately my neighbor saw the water and unclogged the scuppers. I was very lucky with the carpet being the only casualty.

Lesson? Make sure you have an automatic float switch on your bilge pumps that will kick on is a situation like that. The PO of Skylark had only a manual switch as the boat is typically dry as a bone. Had not gotten to adding one yet...stupid me. Sorry to be a little off topic, but thats a lesson that could have had my baby on the bottom...would hate to see it happen to anyone.

PS, does anyone else think that the scupper size on the Cal 34 is ridiculously small for the size of the cockpit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook