SailNet Community - View Single Post - Escaping the Paradigm with $300,000...
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010

OpIvy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkscout View Post
This thread reminds me of another family I read about who circumnavigated the world, and as I recollect, they claimed to have spent approx. 90% of their time doing maintenance/repairs. That is totally asinine. I hope it was an extreme exaggeration. If not, I will not be taking up any bluewater or coastal cruising.
If this was the case then they weren't doing too much sailing.... Like any other vehicle a boat requires maintenance. Personally, if I was a full time cruiser I would strive for as much preventative maintenance as possible and strive for it to be both planned and budgeted. It will cost more but will give me peace of mind which is important. That's not to say that you shouldn't be ready or not expect emergency work but it should be a much smaller percentage of work. If you have a solid boat that is correctly outfitted and a good maintenance schedule you should be able enjoy the lifestyle.

This being said on I can think back to previous boats that I didn't do such a good job on maintenance... But I was willing to absorb the cost and down time and was only using it for inland day sailing.
But it`s time I`ll take before I begin
Three sheets to the wind, Three sheets to the wind
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook