SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint prep, chipped paint
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint prep, chipped paint

Hi all,
This spring we'll be prepping and painting the bottom of our boat for the first time. Last year, when we bought the boat, it was 350 miles from home, so we had the yard do it. I realize there are many threads on bottom paint, but this is a little more specific.

The history of the bottom is that it had epoxy barrier coat about 8 years ago. The PO used a hard paint from Petit after that, but had it sanded every year, so there's not too much build up.

This past year, we used Petit Ultima SR (ablative), and it worked well, it looked good and was in tact when the boat was hauled. However, when the yard pressure washed, the result was that the paint chipped in places, especially on the keel and the strut, but also in other spots on the bottom. The paint does not appear to be "loose", just chipped.

I don't believe it's down to the barrier coat anywhere (at least on the fiberglass), because it's still a shade of blue (the paint has been blue since the barrier coat). On the keel, it's harder to tell.

What do I need to do to prep these areas so they are relatively smooth? I don't want to have to strip the bottom. Should I use a fairing compound and smooth it out? Would that be compatible with the existing paint?

I had planned to just put a couple fresh coats of Petit Ultima SR on there so it's the same paint.
Thanks,
J