SailNet Community - View Single Post - PRO Watermaker
Thread: PRO Watermaker
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 02-14-2010 Thread Starter
[quote=sailingdog;570107]No, what I am saying is that these units require a fairly hefty AC system, and most small sailboats do not have the electrical capacity to power them for any period of time reasonably. The Pro 500 draws 15.2 AMPS @ 110 VAC... if you need an inverter for that, you're looking at about 150 amps. IMHO, you'd need at least a 2 KW generator to properly feed the watermaker.

Sailingdog: Your right the 500 is not advisable on a small boat with limited power. I think trying to run it from an inverter wouldn't cut it. The 12 volt units I have looked at draw an avarage of 15 amps dc that will give you around 5 gph. If I ran the unit without the gen running you will really use amp hrs. in a hurry. The boat I'm installing the water maker is a 50' and has a 7kw generator. My thinking is if I charge the house bank every other day for a couple of hours I can make about 20-30 gals. From what I've read the 500 draws 15.2 amps FLA I think that means full locked rotor current. After the initial start current surge I think the total draw will be under 10 amps which is no problem for the generator.
Thanks for the info you made a lot of valid points. Where in New England, we sail out of Winthrop just outside of Boston Harbor.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome