SailNet Community - View Single Post - PRO Watermaker
Thread: PRO Watermaker
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I sail out of New Bedford harbor. I'm behind the Hurricane Barrier.

On a 50' boat with a 7 kW Genset, then you should be okay. Remember that you'll want to backflush the membrane with RO water each time you shut the unit down, unless you're not going to be using it for more than a few days, in which case you'll probably want to pickle the membrane.

I'd also recommend plumbing in a separate tank that you fill only with RO water that you can use to back flush the RO membrane. The reason for this is simple—chlorine will destroy the RO membrane, and if you accidentally flush the system with non-RO water, you stand a really good chance of destroying it, since most municipal water systems use chlorine. This also allows you to test the output of the watermaker before transferring it to your main fresh water tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook