SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint prep, chipped paint
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
It sounds like there was not a good bond between paints, hence the power-washer chipping it away.

Some ablatives are not compatible with each other. Unfortunately, you'll probably want to take it down to the barrier coat, if not the gel coat or fiberglass someday. But for now just repairing the chips will do.
Well, it's possible the prep wasn't very good. You never know with the yard, though it was a yard with a good reputation. The paints are both Petit, and are listed on their site as being compatible. But of course prep is just as important.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
...Unfortunately, you'll probably want to take it down to the barrier coat, if not the gel coat or fiberglass someday. But for now just repairing the chips will do.
By the way, I meant to add to this post that I'm not against eventually stripping. But we have a very long maintenance list this year, since the boat is basically new to us, so if we can sand and paint this year without causing any harm, then it's the way to go. Less than ideal would be OK with me, so long as the bottom doesn't foul and we're noting causing more problems. There are other things on our list that are more immediate, and need to be done this year.

Out of curiousity, is there a way to strip safely while leaving the barrier coat in tact? I assume so, but just asking for future reference.

Last edited by josrulz; 02-14-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook