SailNet Community - View Single Post - What responsibility does a broker have
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The reason I'm asking is that being a broker seems like something a broken down old computer hacker might be able to do. What I'm not sure I could do however is keep my mouth shut and let the boat sell itself. I'm sure I would be tempted to ramble on about how the stuck sea-cocks should be fixed. The 30 year old rigging should be replaced. The bad wiring should be redone. The propane locker should be vented properly etc, etc. Problem is just about every boat I've been on in the last 24 months, about 40 of them has needed some or all of the above.
But if I could get the blessing from some percentage of this group to keep my mouth shut and sell the boat maybe I could earn a living.
Most of you guys have bought and sold a lot of boats. The 20 or 30 regulars probably account for over 100 boats. What exactly do you expect from the broker.
IOW if I sold you a boat and didn't tell you about items 1 through 7 above and it cost you a bunch of money would you blame yourself or surveyor or would you go on to all your friends about what a crook I was.

Last edited by davidpm; 02-14-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook