SailNet Community - View Single Post - An old man want to start sailing!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010

Rookee is on a distinguished road
Sammy: congratulations on you goal! I think it is exciting and very ambitious you can do it and if it is your dream you should do it ... with great caution and preperation, I have the same goal and have been taking step by strp sailing classes from a charter boat company in the San Francisco bay area starting with Basic Keelboat then Basic Cruising I will do many charters where I will be the skipper before I move on top the next classes I highly reccommend you take some classes just to get your feet wet (pun HAHA) perhaps take a look at US Sailing or one of the accreditted schools in your area. I will tell you that after the classes I have taken I felt much more confident in my ability to go out and cope on the water, however I always learn that I have allot more to learn every time I go out whether there's a problem on the boat or a thick wall of fog that your in and all you can hear is the surf pounding onto rocks nearby there is frequently situations that occur that make your pulse race and force you to deal with your fear...... I like that part of it ! anyway I have a 5 year goal to get through all my sail training then crew on a boat from somewhere here in CA to Hawaii then with a little more practice I will sail to Spain Maybe by myself more likely with friends I have made who have very much more experience than I hence very much more skill... maybe when I am 70? I'll go all alone. good luck to you and go for it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook